Commercial products arriving at a carrier must be prepared in accordance with the requirements of the rules for goods carriage. The goods have regulated markings, packed in shipping containers, excluding damage and weight loss during transportation. International shipping of goods requires the application of a special system of designations, numbers, letters, signs, which indicate the rules for handling cargos, completeness, degree of danger, belonging to a particular batch and a consignor. According to this system, the following types of markings are distinguished:
- shipping designations indicate the identity of the consignment. Signs are applied to the packaging, indicating the details of the consignor. The information is duplicated in the CN (consignment note);
- a trademark is applied indicating the physical and chemical properties of the cargo, specific requirements for transportation if any. For example, temperature conditions, prohibition on overturning, information about a manufacturer;
- transport markings are applied in order to indicate the number and completeness of the batch, the number of places occupied when loaded into the body, the method of loading;
- a special mark is indicated if the requirements of the shipper go beyond the standard. Special designations include information on the degree of danger of the transported substance, storage rules, features of physical and chemical properties. These include the risk of ignition or explosion, interaction with air in case of leakage; acceptable methods of loading and unloading the shipped substance.
Transport markings are applied to the package: on the bottom of barrels, next to the top seam of bags, on the side of boxes, on the end surface of bales. When preparing goods for transportation, carriers use the following types of marking:
- electrolytic, printing, lithographic;
- painting, which is applied through a stencil;
- using a marking device;
- by punching method on transport containers or super-containers;
- by burning out the corresponding sign or batch number.